Monday, March 8, 2010

Sunday Night Laughter

I must continue to interrupt this story for some other important business.

Actually, I was thinking about how much life has changed within the last few months. My family had quite the scare with my dad's brain surgery to remove his tumor last December. But he has pulled through really well, and continues to amaze everyone with his progress, especially after losing mobility in his left arm and leg.

But something even more amazing has happened. My dad now laughs more than ever.

He has always been a laugher. My brothers and sisters and I loved watching comedy movies with him because he would laugh 'til his eyes watered and a coughing fit ensued.

I think the tumor must have been located on the funny part of his brain because now he will laugh at little things, such as my mom saying "plank you" instead of "thank you."

I don't remember what started it Sunday night but just before bed, we were all gathered together, and the laughter began. And it didn't stop, and it didn't stop. The more my dad laughed, the more we all laughed. And our sides hurt. And our faces were red. And we wanted to stop but we couldn't.

My dad was sitting uncomfortably on the floor, holding his side because it hurt so much. He kept saying, "We gotta stop. It hurts so bad..."

Well, that didn't work so well. I was then stupid enough to say something else that made the laughter continue. And then... I tried... I really tried. I kept my mouth straight, thinking that if I was serious, eventually the laughter would die down.

But then I looked at my mom. Her face was so red... and her eyes were squinted. She was clearly trying to stop laughing. But just the look on her face got me going again. And it continued...

Somehow we got everyone to simmer down. Everyone held their sides. My poor dad.

But, I am thankful for the moment. Laughter, truly the best medicine and vice (if it can be called that) in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment