Thursday, March 25, 2010

Child's Fire: Part 5 (final)

Brita’s body tightens as if she is trying to hold something in. She doesn’t want to continue, but Mr. Strong looks mean and impatient, like he might hurt her.


The explosion. The fire. The lady was mad and I was cold. Suddenly, the room was only fire. My dancing friends were back. And they danced on everything. Everywhere. Fast. And it grew and grew real big. The fire was mad. The woman screamed. The men screamed. I heard many screams very fast. I was scared and I closed my eyes. And the fire danced and licked me sometimes but never hurt me. It wasn’t mad at me. It wanted to hurt the lady and the man.


I stayed under the table until it was gone. The table was gone and the building was gone. I was alone. I cried and cried until I dreamed. I dreamed of fire. I only dream of fire now. It doesn’t go away, and it is not my friend anymore. It wants to be, but I hate it. It’s a killer.


How did you get out of the building, or the rubble from the building?


Brita screams and Mr. Strong and Mr. Hanning look nervous. But Brita believes they are mad and want her to continue.


A man with a hose found me. He sprayed water all over me. He didn’t see me. He didn’t see that the fire was already gone. He sprayed everywhere and I shivered and started crying again. He picked me up and carried me to a truck with flashing lights. Told me he would take care of me. Told me I would see my daddy again.


Dr. Scott looks at the men behind him.


Is that as far as you wanted to go today?


Mr. Strong, who has been glancing at his watch every thirty seconds nods, with a look of relief. He and Mr. Hanning stand without a word. Brita watches as the two men leave the room. Just before the door closes, Brita calls out.


Mr. Hanning, please don’t leave me.


It’s okay, Brita. I just have to go talk to my secretary and then you can go. Can you wait right here until I come back?


Mr. Hanning closes the door. Dr. Scott puts his pen and notepad on the desk next to the dead flowers. He leans close to Brita and whispers.


Do you know who is behind the mirror, Brita?


No.


Bad people, Brita. They want to hurt your daddy and Riley. They are mean and they want to hurt you. They are watching you because they want to take you away where you will never see your daddy again.


Brita begins breathing faster, hiccupping faster.


Why?


They are bad, bad people.


Dr. Scott looks out the window and raises his voice.


It’s okay, Brita. I just have to go talk to my secretary and then you can go. Can you wait right here until I come back?


Brita tries to clamp her mouth shut but the hiccups prevent her. She is scared to be alone. She shakes her head at Dr. Scott.


It’s okay, Brita. I’ll be back.


Dr. Scott leaves the room. Brita looks at the mirror, then at the door. She runs to open the door, but it is locked. Her breathing is louder and quicker. Her hands become warm, and warmer, and warmer. She looks down and sees sparks dancing in her palms. She starts screaming.


Help me. Dr. Scott. Help me. Mr. Hanning. Mr. Strong. Heelllp meeee.


The sparks grow bigger and jump from her hands onto the carpet and chairs and walls. It consumes the dead flowers and quickly spreads throughout the room. Brita hears screaming from behind the mirror. The fire attacks the glass and explodes. Brita runs through the giant flames to the window; the oak desk is gone, eaten by the fire. She looks to the street below and sees Mr. Hanning, Mr. Strong and Dr. Scott watching from across the street.

1 comment: